posted by Ahijoy on November 3, 2022
DIY Glitter Tumbler Ideas - Complete Tutorial
So you take that same old, plain gray tumbler with you whenever you head out that is in complete contrast with your vivacious persona. It gives its maximum when it comes to utility but in appearance, it is no less than an eyesore. Who does not want to get rid of the banality of life and add a little sparkle in it? Everyone loves glitter in literally everything! From clothes, jewelry, home décor to now drinkware.
Add shimmer to your everyday drinking vessel - that one tumbler that you cannot leave home without. Even the coffee that you so religiously carry to work every morning will taste better in your DIY customized glitter tumbler. Let’s explore some amazing ideas to add that touch of glamor to it.
Ideas For Inspiration
There is so much room for experimentation when you work with different vibrant colors of glitter and vinyl. Here are a few for your next project.
- Rainbow signifies hope and happiness. To drink from a tumbler with glitter rainbow design every morning will add freshness and new zeal to your day. Mix up a bunch of shades and add a blissful rainbow design on your tumbler.
- Personalize your tumbler by making decals of your name and initials. This also makes for an excellent business plan where you can create and sell customized and themed tumblers with the client’s glitter encrusted name on it.
- With the fall season comes the pumpkin spice weather. Themed tumblers with the appropriate color scheme and pumpkin decals are sure to be a hit. You can also create a pumpkin Halloween tumbler.
- Why go for any design, simply cover your whole tumbler with glitter in single or multiple shades. It will add a pop of color to your day as well.
- Add witty wisecracks or interesting lines to your tumbler such as ‘Why Limit Happy to an Hour” or “Coffee Keeps me Calm.” You can give the tumblers as a gift to your parents with “The Best Mother” or “The Best Father” written on them.
There is no dearth of ideas. Simply put your creative caps on and start crafting.
The Extensive Glitter Tumbler Tutorial
The entire procedure is a pretty long process hence it has been broken up into 3 parts to help you follow the guide easily, but first things first, gather the right tools and equipment for the project.
Here is the complete list of items you will need:
- A tumbler.
- Painters tape.
- Spray paint.
- Mod Podge.
- Premium quality glitter
- Epoxy Resin.
- Disposable rubber gloves.
- Tumbler turner machine.
- Plate or tray for catching drips.
- Adhesive vinyl.
- Electronic cutting machine.
- Transfer tape.
Painting The Tumbler
Starting off with a clean and smooth base color is essential. It provides the foundation of how your tumbler is eventually going to look. Hence, choose a color that complements the glitter you are planning to use.
- Clean your stainless-steel tumbler and let it dry. Then completely seal the bottom and top portion of the tumbler with the painter’s tape.
- Choose a spray paint color and start the process in a properly ventilated area. Place a newspaper on the ground and the tumbler on top of it. Lightly spraying even coats of paint on it.
- Let the paint dry completely before adding glitter.
This section is the most extensive as it requires multiple steps to ensure that the glitter stays in place throughout usage.
- There are various ways to make the glitter stick to the tumbler’s surface which include using Epoxy, spray adhesive and Mod Podge. For this tutorial we will use both Mod Podge and Epoxy.
- First, apply an even layer of Mod Podge onto the tumbler, then pour glitter on it. Rotate the tumbler while adding your preferred glitter. Make sure to apply glitter evenly to every part of the tumbler.
- Let the glitter and Mod Podge layer dry overnight for best results.
- Seal the glitter using any clear coat spray and let it dry for a few hours. The coat spray will further reinforce the layer of glitter.
Adding Epoxy Resin
- Remove the painter’s tape which was added in the beginning from the top and bottom of the tumbler. Leaving a slight margin between the layer of glitter and the top of the tumbler, reapply the tape.
- Set your tumbler on the turner machine before starting the process of mixing Epoxy.
- Now you must apply Epoxy but there are a few things to look at before you do that. First, use a good quality food-safe Epoxy Resin that is approved by the FDA. Wear gloves and do this process outside your home to ensure proper ventilation.
- Prepare the Epoxy mixture according to the instructions provided with it as much as needed for your tumbler.
- Apply Epoxy with a brush while the tumbler is spinning slowly on the machine. The Epoxy should completely cover the glitter with a smooth coat all over.
- Leave the tumbler spinning on the machine for 6 to 7 hours. Place a plate or tray under it to catch drips.
- Let the tumbler dry completely for as long as it takes. It should not be sticky to the touch. Remove the painter’s tape from the top.
IMPORTANT: Epoxy can be toxic while it is curing hence take safety precautions. Wear gloves when handling it and do not let it come in contact with your skin. Rinse thoroughly with soap and water if contact occurs. Work in an area that is properly ventilated as fumes from it can be injurious to health as well.
Now comes the fun part. You can add any vinyl design or decal to further beautify your DIY glitter tumbler.
- After your tumbler has dried completely, use sandpaper to smooth it out.
- After this, wipe off the tumbler using rubbing alcohol.
- Once clean and dry, you can add the vinyl decal of your choice.
- Cut out your design using your favorite electronic or manual cutter. Weed off extra vinyl then apply transfer tape on top and smooth it out using a scraper.
- Transfer the design onto the tumbler and smooth it out once more. Lastly, remove the transfer tape.
- Now add a second and final layer of epoxy to seal the vinyl. Let it sit for a few hours till its completely dry and your DIY glitter tumbler is ready!
Frequently Asked Questions
Making your own glitter tumbler is a tiresome but fruitful process. If you are looking to start your own small business, this is the perfect opportunity as customized tumblers are very popular. So, get your craft tools and start your journey!