posted by Ahijoy on December 20, 2022
3d Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl Instructions
Imagine a heat transfer vinyl that expands to give a 3D effect as if it is an entity on its own ready to pop out of your fabric. Truly enchanting and beautiful, 3D puff HTV gives depth, dimension and texture to a decal making it highly mesmerizing. Let’s learn more about this amazing product and how to apply it to create exquisite crafts.
What Is 3D Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl?
What comes to your mind when you read the word ‘puff’? Something that expands or distends as if filled with air. As soon as we apply heat to 3D puff HTV, it pops out and expands to produce a raised, textured effect, which is very unique and fun.
This superb vinyl is made up of high quality polyurethane. It is stretchable and moves along with the garment without getting distorted. It is durable and if properly taken care of, it will not chip off, crack or peel away, and its color will not fade even after multiple washes.
3D Puff HTV is available in many different colors. It is also available in Glow in the Dark category which makes it truly amazing. Due to its easy application, it has gained immense popularity and is well loved by novice and professional crafters alike. Weeding is the most tedious task when designing with vinyl however with 3D puff HTV, it is a breeze. For making it pop out, you will just need to heat press it once, it is as simple as that. It gives your design an extraordinary depth, detail and texture.
3D puff HTV is available as a thin and flat film, just like any other vinyl. It is only after being heat pressed that it shows its magic. The shades might get lighter but the colors will brighten up after the complete application process.
3D Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl At Ahijoy
Ahijoy has a wide variety of premium quality 3D puff HTV in two different variants: basic and glow in the dark. Basic colors puff HTV is available in ten different beautiful colors with a slight shine on their surface, whereas the glow in the dark variety has seven shades. Both the vinyl films are available in three different sized rolls giving the crafter ample room for creativity.
These vinyl films are durable and long lasting. They are water and weatherproof, and environment friendly hence can be safely applied to everyday wear garments. You would love to work with these and appreciate their amazing result.
3D Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl Application Instructions
Puff 3D heat transfer vinyl is the perfect choice to create different crafts but for the success of any project, one has to have the right set of tools to ensure a smooth process. This is what you will need:
- 3D puff heat transfer vinyl in the color of your choice.
- Fabric. It can be a t-shirt, pillowcase or any decoration item. The right fabrics to work with are cotton, polyester and poly/cotton blends.
- Automated cutting machine.
- Cutting mat.
- Weeding tools. At Ahijoy we have the top quality weeding pens.
- Heat press machine.
Suitable Cutting Machine For Puff 3D HTV
The best cutting machine for Puff 3D heat transfer vinyl is Cricut Explore Air 2. Just choose the iron-on settings and load the mat in your Cricut machine. Press the ‘Go’ button to start cutting. The required settings to cut the puff vinyl is 6 - 7 force at the speed of 3.
The other craft cutters with which you can use this vinyl are Silhouette, Xyron, Graphtec, Quickutz, and Inspirations. Make sure that you have the right cut settings on the machine for best results.
- Plastic scraper or putty knife.
- Cotton cloth, rag, or sponge.
- Spray bottle.
- Acetone or nail polish remover.
- Water to dampen the sponge.
- Latex gloves.
How To Place Vinyl On The Cutting Mat?
Normally, with heat transfer vinyl, we place the glossy side down on the mat as it has the carrier sheet. This is not the case with 3D puff HTV. The shiny side of this vinyl will face up. The carrier sheet of 3D puff HTV is dull hence this will face down on the mat.
Step By Step Process
- Step 1: Cut out your design. It has to be cut in reverse. This means you will have to mirror the image.
- Step 2: Preheat the fabric, your t-shirt, or anything you want to apply it over so that there is no moisture left on it.
- Step 3: Set the temperature to 300º-305ºF to preheat the machine. Make sure to use a heat press that is large enough to cover your entire design in one go.
- Step 4: Once the design is cut, weed out the extra vinyl using weeding tools from Ahijoy.
- Step 5: Place the design onto your fabric and apply heat to it using a heat press for about 8 to 10 seconds. Remember to be firm and apply medium pressure. If you wish to have a puffier look, you can wait for 5 seconds more.
- Step 6: Peel off the backing of the vinyl while it's warm. Do not leave it for a longer time as it may ruin the puffed-up effect. The carrier sheet will rise to make it easier to peel off.
It's done. Easy isn't it? You have your new puffed-up design on your garment ready to be worn. Now let's give a quick look to the types of fabrics you can use for puff 3D heat transfer vinyl.
- Uncoated polyester.
- Cotton/poly blends.
- Do not wash the garment for 24 hours after applying the vinyl. This will allow the adhesive to bond properly with the substrate.
- Always wash the garment with your hands inside out and do not tumble dry.
- Use cold water when washing.
- Dry the garment on a clothesline naturally away from direct sunlight.
- Do not bleach or use fabric softener.
- Do not dry clean the garment.
- Iron the garment inside out as well and do not apply excessive heat to the design.
- Do not use puff vinyl over nylon.
- Works best on 100℅ cotton material.
Tips For Working With 3D Puff Vinyl
- Do not layer 3D puff heat transfer vinyl.
- A test cut is highly recommended before cutting the actual design.
- For a successful project it is imperative to follow the vinyl manufacturer’s application instructions carefully. Especially take into account the temperature, time and pressure that has to be applied.
- Puff vinyl works best on cotton or cotton/poly blends. When using a different fabric, be very careful and test first whether it will work or not.
- If your design is highly intricate, with complex cuts and features, it might not turn out as expected to be. This is because 3D puff vinyl expands in all directions and an intricate design will lose its detail when heated. It will not look as you want it to be.
- For puff vinyl, it is better to use a heat press as it needs consistent heat and pressure that may not be possible with an iron.
Uses Of 3D Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl
3D puff heat transfer vinyl has many creative uses.
- You can use it to display your logo on complimentary t-shirts and other fabrics. It will make your brand noticeable and stand out.
- The 3D look of puff HTV is perfect for companies and teams looking to advertise themselves on T-shirts or hats.
- It is best for personal use as its eye-catching design will elevate your accessories like t-shirts, hoodies, bags, and socks.
- You can upgrade your home décor with it and win accolades from family and guests. Embellish your pillowcases, covers and throws with puffed up decals.
There are many other ways in which you can use this amazing vinyl. Where creativity is concerned, the sky’s the limit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Puff 3D designs are a hot favorite of young and old alike. It is especially used in children’s clothing and sportswear. It makes your simplest design look extraordinary just by puffing it up! For creating an amazing DIY craft, follow all the instructions given above. Head to Ahijoy to buy this product as we believe you would definitely love it!