posted by Ahijoy on November 30, 2022
What Cricut Mat To Use For Vinyl?
Cutting mat is a highly essential tool when using vinyl for making different crafts and projects. There are many varieties of mats available and one might get confused as to which one to use for excellent results. We know it can be hard for you to decide at first, so here's a little guide in which you will learn everything about the Cricut cutting mat, how it works, different types of Cricut mats, and which is the right one to use along with some tips and tricks.
What Is A Cricut Mat?
Cricut mat is a tool on which you can place and cut your vinyl when using an automated cutting machine. It protects the work space from getting damaged by the blades of the cutter. While doing so, it also protects the blades from getting dull sooner than expected. It is a flexible and reusable mat that works well with Cricut and other cutting machines.
Cricut mat consists of an adhesive area that holds your project in place while the machine cuts it easily. When you are done with the cutting, you can easily remove the vinyl from it and use the mat for your next project. It also has a grid that allows correct placement of the vinyl design.
Cricut mats are available in different sizes and tack levels so you can always choose the one most suitable for your project keeping in mind the material and design.
Best Cricut Mat for Vinyl
The best Cricut mat for vinyl is the green Standard Grip one. Following are its characteristics:
- It is a cutting mat with medium tack, amazing for materials such as vinyl, both adhesive and heat transfer, normal and embossed cardstock, patterned paper, iron-on, suede and leather.
- It is a high utility mat that can be used over and over again for many projects.
- It is available in two sizes: 12"x12" and 12"x24".
- It has a grid for ease of placement and ensuring dimensions.
How To Use The Cricut Mat?
Once you get your green Standard Grip Cricut mat for vinyl, remove the clear protective cover from the top and set it aside to be used again when storing the mat.
To cut, the vinyl should be placed inside the grid lines of the mat. After the machine has finished cutting, turn the mat over onto a flat surface and slowly pull it straight up until the vinyl is completely removed.
Types Of Cricut Mats
There are many types of Cricut mats available for your desired project in the market. You just need to be aware of which one to use. They are available in four different colors and grips.
- The Light Grip blue mat is used for lightweight materials. It has a reusable adhesive on it that helps to cut the material flawlessly. It is best for printer paper and thin card stock.
- The Standard Grip green mat, as we discussed above, is used for medium-weight materials. Best for iron-on and vinyl.
- The Strong Grip purple mat is used for heavy-weight materials. This one also has an adhesive on it which makes it reusable for many projects. It is best for thick cardstock and cardboard.
- Last but not least, the Fabric Grip pink mat is mainly used for a wide variety of fabrics. It has increased strength and thickness, and can be used with a rotary blade or bonded fabric blade.
How To Take Care Of Your Cricut Mat?
You should always take good care of your Cricut mat to make it last longer. Following are the steps that should be taken in this regard:
- First things first, cover your mat after every project. While opening a new mat, don't throw away the cover. If you do not cover your mat, it will be exposed to dust and dirt which may ruin its adhesive.
- Research, learn, and use the mat with the right materials. If you won’t get this right, you might end up with your material strongly adhered to the mat. This may ruin your design.
- After cutting, remove the material from your mat with extra care otherwise your mat will get damaged.
- Clean your mat after using it. You can use a roller, baby wipes, or soapy water. Be gentle while cleaning.
Tips and Tricks
- If your mat is too sticky use a t-shirt and tap all over the surface of the mat.
- Use the right type of mat for your project. Make sure to use the blue one for lightweight and the green for medium weight.
- Use the right size of the mat according to the project. If your vinyl design is small you don’t need a big mat.
- Move or rotate your mat, particularly if you find yourself cutting in the same spot.
Frequently Asked Questions
So now you know that the Standard Grip green mat is the best one to use for your vinyl projects. Since there are so many mats available in different sizes, shapes, and colors, it can be confusing to select one. But we have presented you with all the information about Cricut cutting mats. Just keep them covered and be extra careful to ensure longer usage.